So how do we know if we make the cut of being emotionally intelligent?
Take this short quiz to find out where you stand.
Q1. You are the new team lead to a team trying to find a creative solution to a difficult issue. How do you handle the role?
- Make an agenda all by yourself and discuss each aspect.
- Arrange for a team out to inspire creativity.
- Start with a brainstorming session to flesh out ideas to solve the issue.
Q2. You happen to hear a fellow team member bad-mouthing you. How do you react?
- Verbally confront the person, on the spot in front of the team.
- Call the person to your cabin and then proceed to berate him.
- Confront them in private and politely enquire about the reason.
Q3. Your appraisal rating is not as per expectations. How do you handle ‘the talk’ with the boss?
- Accept the rating but decide not to stretch yourself for your work anymore.
- Try to convince the boss that you deserve better.
- Talk to the boss; discuss what is expected to do better.
Q4. Your colleague is harassing you in a way that is not apparent and yet you are being affected. How will you handle the situation?
- Quit the job.
- Try to ignore the harassment, because you are concerned about your career.
- Directly confront the colleague and inform them that you will approach concerned authorities.
Q5. You have been asked to handle a task that is outside of your area of expertise and you are unable to cope with the deadlines. What is your next step?
- Continue struggling to find a solution, as asking for help is a sign of weakness.
- Get a colleague to help you complete the task
- Approach the boss, inform him about your predicament and ask him for assistance.
And now for the results!
Mostly ‘c’s – Congratulations! You have a high EQ. No matter where you are placed right now in your life, you will only get higher. You have what it takes to achieve excellence.
Mostly ‘b’s – With a little effort to build your EQ you can achieve success. All the best!
Mostly ‘a’s – Do not give up. The good news is that EQ is like a muscle. The more you give it a workout, the stronger it will get. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
When destiny throws a curveball, we have no choice but to step up on to the pitch of life and bat. It can be exhilarating when we hit a six, however, when the wicket bails fall out behind us, and when the audience is baying for blood; it is the graceful exit to the pavilion which will be remembered in the halls of fame. Being emotionally intelligent makes that walk more palatable.